We strive towards low carb lunches that are quick and easy to prepare, and yet meet some level of nutritional content. These frittatas meet those requirements and taste great too. Here’s the recipe I used, for a single dish lunch for 6 people, cooked in a 10.5 inch cast iron pan.
- Eggs, 14, beaten
- Bell peppers, 1 medium, chopped
- Onion, 1 medium, chopped
- Green chilies, 2, finely chopped
- Carrots, 1 large, finely chopped
- Corn, 3/4 cup, boiled with a pinch of sugar
- Coriander leaves and stems, handful, chopped
- Salami, 6 slices, diced
- Tomato, 1 medium, diced
- Salt, pepper to taste
- Oil for frying
- Heat oil, fry onions and green chilies until onions are translucent.
- Add the rest of the vegetables and cook till the bell peppers are soft.
- Reduce heat. Add the beaten eggs, stir to mix the vegetables with the eggs, then cover and cook for 10 – 12 minutes.
- Take off the heat and pop into a medium-hot oven until cooked through. Test by inserting a knife. If the knife comes out clean, it’s cooked.
- Overturn on to a plate an serve hot.
- Top with cheese if you like, and put back under a grill for a bit to melt the cheese.
- Experiment with different vegetables. Keep in mind mushrooms will release plenty of liquid.
- Add flavors in the form of basil leaves, ginger, garlic, curry leaves and more.
- Sometimes, I like pouring on a tadka of hot oil, spluttered mustard seeds, ginger, kadi patta and a little urad dal.