A few years ago, we breakfasted at a Gujjar table, with a meal of chilli garlic chutney, buttermilk, bajra rotis and white butter, the combination known as chaaya-chatni. The prodigious quantities of white butter I ate that morning will never will repeated.
This chutney is a slight variation of that one, which we still fondly remember.
- Red chillies, dried, soaked in water overnight, 50 grams
- Garlic cloves, peeled, 50 grams
- Roasted Sesame oil, 2 tablespoons
- MSG, finely ground, one fourth teaspoon
- Sugar, 1 teaspoon
- White vinegar, 3 tablespoons
- Water in which the chillies were soaked, as needed
- Blend the lot, adding the water as needed.
- Use quickly or store in an airtight jar with a layer of sesame oil over it.
- The strength of different brands of vinegar differs. Add sparingly for sour notes per your taste.
- MSG is optional.
- Use for stir fries, marinades, with parathas, noodles and more.