I ordered a bunch of different types of whole grains a few days ago, including a number of millet varieties from Amazon. The problem with trying to cook healthier, is that so much more time needs to be spent on prepping and purchases, whilst normal cooking is just so very simple. What do you think?
For today’s dinner, I asked Indu to pick up whatever she fancied from the vegetable shop downstairs, and I’d do something or the other with it. So she picked up some fresh coriander, tinda, beans, spinach, carrots, broccoli and aubergines. She also picked up a pack of dahi / yogurt.
We ended up with another take on curd rice, which is one of our favourite dishes, but without the rice.
- Millets, 150gm, boiled per your preferences, drained.
- Yogurt, 200ml or as much as you want
- Coriander, fresh; chopped
- Set 1
- Tinda, 4 pieces; peeled and finely sliced, blanched
- Broccoli, one small, stalk peeled and sliced, florets very finely chopped
- Set 2
- Spinach, half a bunch; blanched and drained
- Set 3
- Aubergine 3 pieces; sliced in half lengthwise, salted, drained and rinsed
- Set 4
- Carrots, 2 pieces, finely sliced, blanched
- Beans, handful, finely sliced, blanched
- Spice mixture for curd + millet mixture
- Mustard seeds, 2 tsp
- Ginger, fresh, 1 inch; shredded
- Kadi patta / curry leaves, 1 stalk
- Mixture for Tinda + Broccoli
- Green chillies, fresh; finely chopped
- Ground into a coarse mixture
- Aniseed, 1 tsp
- Methi / fenugreek seeds, 1 tsp
- Green cardamom, 1 piece, seeds
- Chili garlic chutney smeared on aubergine before grilling
- Oil and salt as needed
- In a little oil, splutter mustard seeds, fry kadi patta and ginger. Mix this with the boiled millet and curd.
- Grill the chilli chutney smeared aubergine.
- In a little oil fry the chillies, spice mixture for tinda and broccoli. Add the blanched tinda and broccoli. Stir fry for a few minutes. Set aside.
- Salt the spinach.
Notes for organising the cooking.
- Chop everything that needs chopping.
- Boil a pot of water. Add washed millet. Keep this going till the end. It’ll probably take that long to cook.
- Boil another pot of water. Use this to blanch the carrot and beans mixture, the tinda and the spinach. Set aside.
- Follow steps 2, 3, 4 from Method above.
- Drain and rinse millet.
- Follow steps 1, 5 from Method above.