Yesterday I went to a shopping complex and remembered we didn’t have any vegetables at home. There was a shop in the complex, and I went there, and left in perhaps 5 seconds. Nearly every vegetable there was not only high priced, but wilted and quite sad. You see, the mandi tends to spoil us and that’s where I headed to next. When there, nearly every stall had crisp, fresh greens discarded alongside that apparently no one wanted to pay for or eat. The healthy cheapskate in me took over and I asked for them and every vendor happily stuffed my bag, no questions asked. Now greens tend to wilt and go yellow and other such undesirable colours quite quickly and so we made a lunch almost entirely out of them. I call it, the Phat Green Mama. These are the type of meal changes that have helped me and my clients lose oodles of weight, feel better and ultimately, live better.
- 6 – 7 Beetroot greens, washed
- 2 – 3 Radish greens, washed
- 1 packet Mushrooms, washed and trimmed
- 2 tbsp Garlic, chopped
- 1 medium Onion, sliced
- 1 medium Tomato, quartered
- 400gm Yogurt
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 1 tbsp Black peppercorns, freshly ground
- 2 Eggs, boiled
- Half a lemon, quartered
- Beetroot greens: Separate leaves and stalks, chop stalks, chiffonade leaves, except for four large ones.
- Radish greens: Separate leaves and stalks, chop stalks, tear leaves
- Mix the olive oil black pepper and salt to taste into the yogurt
- Melt butter
- Add garlic, brown slightly
- Add onions, keep till transparent/pinkish
- Add mushrooms, cook for 3 minutes on gentle heat or until cooked
- Add salt, mix well.
- Take off the heat and add all the chopped stalks.
- Set aside.
- Place two large beetroot leaves in every bowl
- Add beetroot leaves (chiffonade) at their base, to one side
- Place mushrooms alongside
- Add tomatoes, radish leaves, eggs and lemon as you see fit.
- Top with or serve accompanied by the cool yogurt sauce.