We can all hear Christmas bells ringing which means lights, gifts and decorations, but another tradition that has always been a must is this alcohol soaked rum and fruit cake! Our celebrations remain incomplete without it.
- All-purpose flour, 275 gm
- Brown sugar, 275 gm
- Butter, 275 gm
- Orange zest, 1 tbsp
- Nutmeg and cinnamon powder, ½ tsp each
- Powdered almonds, 100 gm
- Chopped pistachios and cashews, ½ cup.
- Soaked nuts*, 1 ½ cup
- Baking soda, 1 tsp
- Flaky salt, ¼ tsp
- Eggs, 4
- In a sieve in all-purpose flour, powdered almonds, baking soda, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon powder. Keep it aside.
- Soften the butter until pale and fluffy.
- Add brown sugar and keep whisking until you get a light and fluffy texture.
- Add the eggs one by one to the mixture and keep mixing.
- Add in the orange zest, chopped nuts and the soaked nuts.*
- Fold in the dry ingredients to the wet mixture.
- Transfer the cake batter to a well-greased cake tin lined with parchment sheet.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 1500 for 80-90 minutes
- Make sure all the ingredients are at room temperature
- These are mixed nuts, I have used blueberries, cranberries, tutti-frutti, cashews, prunes, almonds and dry apricots, soaked in rum for at least 3 weeks.
- While adding the nuts be careful to drain out extra alcohol if any.
- Don’t over mix the mixture as it leads to formation of gluten which in turn makes the cake chewy.