This is a British snack, which is best served hot. Try it with beer.
- 250g Slices of processed cheese [use pre-sliced if you like]
- 1 tbsp English mustard
- Pinch Freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 4 slices of bread
- Place the slices of cheese in a sauce pan
- Add the stock and the mustard
- Heat gently, till the mixture is smooth
- Toast the slices of bread. Butter them.
- Butter an oven-proof plate. Place slices on it.
- Spread cheese mixture on each piece of toast.
- Place under grill till brown (about 3 – 4 minutes)
Serve very hot.
Note: Original recipe uses Cheshire cheese and ale instead of stock.