The beauty of this main course is that it can be prepared quickly with any vegetable of your choice, though we tried it with bell peppers.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 450 ml water
- 150 gm Daawat brown rice, washed and drained
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2-3 garlic cloves, slivered
- 1?2 cup Green Giant Corn Niblets, washed and drained
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 2 tbsp Keya Mexican seasoning
- Salt, to taste
- In a deep pan, bring 450ml water to a vigorous boil.
- Add the washed brown rice and bring back to a boil.
- Lower the heat to simmer and cover to cook.
- Let it cook for 15-18 minutes, till the rice is cooked through and soft.
- Remove from heat and reserve.
- In a skillet or pan, heat the oil.
- Add the garlic, corn niblets and the bell pepper slivers.
- Saute for 3-4 minutes or till the peppers begin to soften. If you prefer a bite to the vegetables, then don’t overcook.
- Add the Mexican seasoning and salt. Sauté for a minute.
- Add the brown rice. Toss quickly till the rice and vegetables are coated with the seasoning.
- Check seasoning, adjusting it a little more for a more potent flavour.
- Remove from heat and serve hot.
- Tip: Non-vegetarians can also toss in cooked chicken pieces or chorizo if they wish.
Recipe Courtesy: Chef Parul Pratap Shirazi