* Serves: 2-3 *
- 6-8 tubes of De Cecco Canneloni
- 1 bunch of fresh, organic spinach, roughly chopped
- 4-5 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1-2 teaspoons Olitalia Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 200 grams fresh soft cottage cheese or paneer, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon whole wheat flour
- 1 and ½ cups milk
- Sea salt to taste
- Freshly ground black peppercorns, to taste
- A pinch of powdered nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon buffalo mozzarella, torn
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan or Grana Padano cheese
- Boil water in a large pot of water with a little salt and a few drops of Olitalia Extra Virgin Olive Oil. When it comes to the boil, add in the Canneloni tubes and cook for 4-5 minutes until just al dente.
- Drain and hold under gently flowing cold water to stop the cooking process and to avoid sticking. Keep aside.
- Heat the Olitalia Extra Virgin Olive Oil in a pan and add the garlic and onion. Sauté briefly until translucent.
- Tip in the chopped spinach and toss until wilted. Add the crumbled cottage cheese or paneer and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Mix well.
- Fill the spinach mixture in an icing bag or plastic bag with a corner snipped off. Pipe the mixture into the cooked Canneloni tubes. Keep aside.
- To make the béchamel sauce, sauté the butter and flour together in a heavy bottomed pan until fragrant. Add the milk and whisk well and cook on a medium flame until thickened. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and add the powdered nutmeg.
- Arrange the filled Canneloni tubes in a greased baking dish. Pour the béchamel sauce over and sprinkle with the grated cheeses.
- Bake in a preheated oven on the center rack for 10-15 minutes at 160 degrees centigrade or until golden as per your liking.
- Serve hot.
Recipe Courtesy: Olive Tree Trading – An Online Gourmet Store