- 175 gms Shutki Machh (dried fish)
- 100 gms Onions chopped and 150 grams grated)
- 300 gms Potatoes, diced
- 300 gms Tomatoes, chopped
- 4 tbsp Garlic paste
- 2 tbsp Ginger paste
- 2 tbsp Red chilli powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 3 to 4 Dry red chillies
- 2 Green chillies, chopped
- 100 gms Coriander leaves , chopped
- 6 tbsp Mustard oil
- Salt to taste
- Cut the dry fish in pieces an inch long and soak them in warm water about an hour.
- After fish softens, marinate it in half teaspoon of turmeric powder and salt.
- Heat 4 tablespoons of oil in a pan and fry the fish in it. Keep it aside.
- Add two more tablespoon of oil in the pan. Once the oil is heated add the dry red chili and the chopped onions. Fry the onions till they become transparent.
- Pour the mixture of grated onions along with ginger garlic paste with the spices. Fry until you see the oil separating.
- Then add the chopped tomatoes and the diced potatoes along with the chopped green chili.
- Add half a cup of water at this point and cook covered in medium to low flame for few minutes.
- Add the fish and cook covered until the fish is fully cooked and the potatoes soften.
- Once the fish is cooked add the chopped coriander leaves.
- Enjoy it with hot steaming rice!
- Mustard oil is a must in cooking this dish.
Recipe Courtesy: Ujjaini Majumdar