Having turned vegetarian I try to innovate in my cooking as far as possible. Paneer has been used to bake, roast, grill, cook and I decided to use it in a dessert by camouflaging it by grating and steeping in syrup. A rich Indian pudding but not very heavy on the tummy. It is a surefire hit every time .
- 1 liter milk
- 1cup sugar
- ½ cup water
- 5 tbsp custard powder
- 1 tsp Vanilla essence
- 5 cardamoms
- ½ cup blanched and chopped nuts
- ½ cup cream
- 100gms paneer grated or tiny cubes
- Boil milk for some time on slow heat.
- Meanwhile mix sugar and water and heat till sugar has dissolved completely, add grated paneer to the syrup till the mixture starts coating the spoon.
- Mix this into the boiled milk and add the custard powder to the milk.
- Cook till mixture turns thick. Add cardamom powder and vanilla essence.
- Pour into a glass bowl and garnish with blanched almonds.
- Serve cold with whipped cream.