by Pallavi Ahuja
Vegetables, being the important part of vegetarian and vegan diet, contain all the nutrients required for a healthy lifestyle. They can be an important part of your meals in the form of roasted, stir fried, curried vegetables, salads and of course, soups. One such recipe is Roasted Pumpkin Soup. This recipe is absolutely healthy, delicious and brings the beautiful color & unique flavors to the plate and palate. This recipe has a bit of Indian and European flavors blended together beautifully.
- 200 gms Yellow Pumpkin
- 1 medium size Onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tablespoon Garlic chopped
- 1 tablespoon Spring Onion Green leaves finely cut
- Salt to taste
- Lemon Juice – For flavor
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric
- 3 tablespoon Olive oil
- Black Pepper for seasoning
- 1 tablespoon Mixed Herbs (Thyme, Oregano, Basil, Dil leaves, Parsley etc.)
- Cut the pumpkin piece into few big slices. Don’t peel it. Keep the pieces on a baking tray. Grease them with some olive oil, salt and black pepper. Now roast the pumpkin into pre-heated oven at 200° C for about 25-30 minutes. Keep checking in between.
- When the pumpkin flesh becomes too soft and tender to remove it from the skin, take it out. If you don’t have oven at your home, then we can normally pressure cook the pumpkin (chopped into small pieces) instead of roasting it in oven.
- Now, take a pan. Heat some olive oil in it. Add chopped garlic and onion. Saute till they become translucent. Add the pumpkin flesh (pressure cooked or oven roasted). Don’t forget to remove the peel.
- Now add little water, as this would be of thick consistency. Saute well. Add mixed herbs and a bit of spring onion leaves. Add salt to taste, red chilli powder and turmeric.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook it for about 10 minutes. Keep stirring in between. Now turn the gas off. Let it cool down to room temperature. Now, blend it into a puree. You can strain it through sieve or have it as it is. I prefer fibrous texture of the soup, so don’t filter out the fleshy part.
- Before serving, heat it a bit. Garnish it with spring onion leaves, black pepper and lemon as per taste and serve it hot.