I first tried out these Sandwiches on my daughter’s 5th birthday. At that time we had to make everything at home and I wanted to make something that looked like a fairy tale cottage. I almost forgot about it as both my kids are now grown up. When I had to teach cooking to a young boy recently, I recollected these easy to make and colorful sandwiches and taught him how to make these at his first cooking class. How time flies… I went back all those years and relived those moments.
- Sandwich bread
- 1 cup Mint-Coriander chutney
- 1/2 cup Butter
- 1 cup Tomato sauce
- 1 large Grated carrot for garnishing
- 1 Bunch Mint leaves
- 1 bunch coriander leaves
- 4 green chilies
- 1 bunch spring onion or 1 normal onion
- 4 pods garlic
- 1 tsp tamarind paste
- Salt to taste
Put all the ingredients in a mixer and puree till paste form and serve.
Method for Sandwiches:
- Spread the green chutney on one slice and place a buttered one on top of it.
- Then apply sauce on this slice and place another slice of bread on it.
- 4 slices in all make a sandwich.
- Cut the edges of the bread and diagonally across so that it is triangle shape.
- Arrange on a platter like a house .
- On the sloping roof add butter and place the grated carrot to look like red roof tiles.
- Tuck a soup stick on top like a chimney.
- Use toothpicks to hold the sandwiches in place.
- Surround the hut with chips or green fries to look like a garden.
It looks very decorative and colorful and can be made to lure kids who do not eat.