This recipe combines the humble bottle gourd with prawns to conjure a delectable dish fit for a king.
You will need
- ½ kg Prawns, shelled and de-veined
- 1 kg Bottle gourd (lauki or dhoodi), peeled and cubed
- 1 large onion, chopped fine
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- 2 tbsps coriander leaves, chopped roughly
- 2 whole red chilies
- Oil and Salt according to taste
- Heat oil and add whole red chilies to it.
- Add the chopped onions and sauté until it begins to turn golden.
- Now add the ginger and garlic pastes.
- Saute for a minute and add the dry spices with the salt mixed in ¼ cup of water.
- Saute once more until the oil separates.
- Add the tomatoes and saute further until the tomatoes are cooked and mashed with the masalas.
- Now add the cubed bottle gourd and mix thoroughly. Cook covered until done; if you are using a pressure cooker let it simmer for five minutes after the first whistle.
- Now add the prawns and cook for three minutes only. Over cooking will turn the prawns hard and rubbery.
- Sprinkle with chopped coriander and place on top the whole red chilies which were added in the beginning.