* Serves 5-6 *
- 1 kg Medium-sized Prawns/Shrimps (Shelled and deveined)
- 3 large Onions chopped fine
- 2 cups fresh grated Coconut
- 5 dry Red Chillies
- 2 tbsp Coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp Cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp Fenugreek seeds
- 1 1/2 tbsp Black Peppercorn seeds
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp Garlic paste
- Salt to taste
- 4 tbsp Vegetable/ Canola/ Sunflower cooking oil
- Walnut-sized ball of Tamarind, soaked in hot water and pulp removed
- Chopped fresh Coriander to garnish
- Roast the dry red chillies on a hot pan till they begin to release their aroma.
- Separately dry roast the remaining spices.
- Grind all the spices, coconut, half of the onions, garlic and tamarind pulp into a smooth, thick paste ensuring not to add any water whilst grinding the masala.
- Heat the oil in a wide, heavy-bottomed pan on a medium flame.
- Add the remaining onion and fry till golden.
- Add the wet masala paste and fry, stirring frequently, till the oil begins to separate from the masala.
- Add 1 and half cups of hot water to this masala and stir to mix well.
- Bring to a boil, simmer and add the prawns.
- Cook for 3 minutes and turn off the fire.
- Garnish with chopped fresh coriander and serve with plain boiled rice.
Recipe Courtesy: Chef Suprabhat Roy, Executive Chef, Eros Hotel, New Delhi.