Contributed by Dana Van Digen
- 1 kg. flour (Maida)
- 3 medium size potatoes boiled
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- dried cumin
- up to 500 ml. lukewarm water
- 22 grams fresh yeast or dry yeast in quantities which will be responsive to 1 kg. flour
- Let’s start with the sourdough… have a glass bowl in microwave oven preheat.
- In the warm glass bowl finely crumble the fresh yeast, add a spoon of flour, a teaspoon of sugar and 6 tablespoons of lukewarm water.
- With plastic spoon stir until smooth. Put the bowl back in a disabled microwave for 10-15 min. Until yeast start rising.
- Absolutely same method even if you use dry yeast.
- Next we start making the dough
- Cook the potatoes in their skin and once cooked peel them and let it cool. Grate it finely.
- Take a large plastic bowl and put in the following ingredients: flour, grated potatoes, salt, spices, water and sourdough.
- Start kneading all this. The dough should be not sticky, it should be smooth and while kneading with the hands, there should blow off sound.
- Once you have reached this stage its ready for rising. Cover the dough in the bowl and store in a warm place and let it rise for two hours.Pre-heat the oven to the highest temperature.
- On the bottom of the oven put a metal container with water.
- This will provide a beautiful crispy crust. Take the baking plate, and cover the bottom thinly with flour
- Divide the dough in two parts. Each dough part knead again by hand for a few minutes, then form it into the desired shape.
- Put these two loaves of bread on the baking plate, cover it again and leave for about 20 min to rise in a warm place.
- In the meantime prepare a solution of vinegar and water in the ratio 3:1.
- Before putting the baking plate in the oven brush loaves. Brush during baking every 15-20 min.
- During baking, the flour will burn around the plate of bread. Do not worry, stay calm.
- Bake the bread for the first 10 min. at the highest temperature, which in my oven is 250 °., then down to 180 gr. C. and bake for about 50 min, each according to your own oven.
- After one hour turn the oven off and leave the bread in the oven for the next 15 min.
- Then take the plate out let the bread cool down on the plate.
- When you pick up the bread from the plate, take a dull knife and scrape away all the flour from the bottom of the baked bread.
Note:You can use: dry thyme, cumin and fennel or caraway… the quantity of used spice should not exceed a quantity of 3 teaspoons. Or no spice at all.