- 4 cups Milk
- 1/4 cup Basmati rice
- 1/2 cup dark Jaggery
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom (Elaichi) powder
- 2 tbsp fresh Coconut pieces
- 2 tbsp Ghee
- Wash and soak the rice for at least half an hour.
- Heat the milk in a heavy bottomed vessel and simmer once it comes to a boil.
- Add in the rice and continue to simmer till the milk has reduced by ½, stirring continuously.
- Add the jaggery and cardamom powder and mix well. Simmer for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Keep aside.
- Heat ghee in another pan and fry the coconut pieces till golden and nutty.
- Add into the prepared Payasam.
- Serve chilled or hot, garnished with fresh coconut or dried fruits.
Recipe Courtesy: Chef Suprabhat Roy, Executive Chef, Eros Hotel, New Delhi