This orange pound cake is super soft and tender, glazed with orange syrup. The syrup helps in keeping the cake moist.
Quantity: Makes one loaf
- Butter – 1/2 cup (1 cup size = 235 ml)
- Granulated sugar – 1 cup
- Eggs – 2
- Orange zest – 40 ml (taken from 6 clementines).
- Flour – 1 1/2 cup
- Baking powder – 1/4 tsp
- Baking soda – 1/4 tsp
- Vanilla extract – 1 tsp
- Orange juice – 40 ml
- Buttermilk – 90 ml
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
Note: The zest is the outer peel of the fruit, no white pith attached. You can remove the zest from the fruit using a fine grater/zester
For the syrup:
- Orange juice – 1/4 cup
- Sugar – 1/4 cup
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F
- Grease the surface of the baking loaf pan with butter and line the bottom with parchment paper
- Cream the butter and 1 cup of granulated sugar in a bowl by using whisk or with an electric mixer for about 4 – 5 mins until it becomes light and fluffy
- Beat the 2 eggs and add it to the butter mixture
- Add the orange zest and mix everything together
- In another bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt
- Add orange juice, butter milk and vanilla extract to the flour and mix well
- Pour this mixture into the bowl that contains the butter and eggs, and mix well for few mins
- Pour the batter in the baking pan and smoothen the top surface, and then place the baking pan in the oven
- Bake it for 45 minutes to 1 hour until a toothpick comes out clean when you insert it in the cake
- While the cake is baking, prepare the syrup. Mix 1/4 cup of orange juice and 1/4 cup of sugar in a vessel and heat it on a low flame until the sugar dissolves. Keep it aside.
- Once the cake is ready, take it out of the oven and let it rest in the baking pan for 10 mins
- Take it out of the pan and cool it in a wire rack for few more mins
- Finally, spoon the orange syrup over the cake and let it cool completely
- Cut it into slices and enjoy eating the delicious orange cake.
Recipe courtesy: Balachandrika Kandaswamy, CaL Member