by Pallavi Ahuja
White Asparagus is really popular among Germans and one of their favorite vegetables when it comes to healthy cuisine in form of soup or salads. This Nutty White Asparagus Soup recipe is just the perfect winter soup, not just super delicious and nutritious but also very filling with the perfect crunchy flavor of pine nuts, almonds and walnuts.
- 250 gm White Asparagus
- 5 cloves Garlic, finely chopped
- 1 medium sized Onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup green spring onion leaves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon Coconut Oil
- 2 tablespoon Roasted pine nuts, almonds, walnuts, finely chopped
- Mixed herbs (parsley, thyme, basil, etc.) for garnishing – This is completely optional as per availability
- Black pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
- Firstly, wash the Asparagus properly. Cut the stem and top of each of it. Keep the top part separate. Now, peel off all the asparagus. Don’t throw away the roughage. Chop the rest of the Asparagus into small pieces.
- Now, take a pan and add 2 cups of water in it. Add peeled off part and stem of the Asparagus. Bring it to boil and keep for about 15 minutes. This will bring a nice color and flavor to water. This way we are preparing a vegetable stalk for the soup. Strain the water and keep it in same pan. Now boil the top part of Asparagus for about 10 minutes.
- Take another pan or kadai. Heat coconut oil in it. Add chopped onions, spring onion leaves and garlic. Saute well for about 3-4 minutes. Add chopped pieces of Asparagus and salt to taste. Saute it well and cook for about 10 minutes. Now you can use a hand blender to mash all the ingredients.
- Add the stalk prepared in previous step along with the top part of Asparagus. This adds nice flavor and crunch. Bring it to one boil. Add half of the chopped nuts.
- Serve the soup hot with garnish of black pepper and nuts.