This is an old south Indian recipe I found a little while back. Interestingly, I could only find one recipe for the same name on the net. You’ll need:
- 1 Leg of Mutton
- 3 Potatoes
- 3 Carrots
- 4 small radish
- 1″ piece ginger
- 6 dry chilies
- 2 cloves
- 4 Onions
- 1 tbsp rice
- 1/2 tsp turmeric [haldi] powder
- 4 pods garlic
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 2 tsp vinegar
- salt to taste
- oil for frying
- Clean and wash mutton
- Peel and quarter potatoes, carrots and radish and two onions.
- Slice remaining onion. Grind rice, turmeric, garlic, ginger and chillies to form a paste
- Slowly simmer meat and vegetables in three cups of water until tender.
- Remove meat and vegetables from gravy. Reserve gravy and vegetables.
- Lightly fry meat in oil, until light brown. Remove meat from pan.
- In the same pan, brown the sliced onion, add the masala paste and fry well.
- Add the gravy and salt to the pan.
- Bring to boil and immediately pour over meat and vegetables.
- Serve hot.