Kangan’s special Dal Makhni is a must-have and it gets its creamy texture because it is cooked in milk, instead of cream.
- 1kg Black urad dal
- 300gm Ginger garlic paste
- 1kg Tomato puree
- 50gm Salt
- 1kg White butter
- 500gm Milk
- 30gm Deggi mirch
- 10gm Kasoori methi
- Take the black urad dal in a clean sanitized container and wash it in running water. Scrub them simultaneously till the water runs clear.
- Soak the lentils for at least 8 hours. Cook it overnight in a heavy-bottomed pan on a slow tandoor.
- The next day, change the water of the lentils and wash them again.
- In a pan, heat a little oil. Add the ginger garlic paste and tomato puree and sauté it. Add salt to taste.
- Cook the dal till it becomes pulpy and smooth.
- Add the deghi mirch powder, milk and butter.
- Cook the dal till it thickens. Finish with cream and kasoori methi.
- Remove and serve hot. Alternately, store in refrigerator for further use.
This recipe was contributed by Chef Ajay Chopra, Executive Chef, The Westin Mumbai Garden City. It was part of the ‘Dilli Khaas’ food festival menu, which was held at Kangan Restaurant in August, 2012.