- 2 Large Onions, diced
- 50 grams Vegetable shortening
- 900 grams Beef, fat removed, cubed
- Salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Generous amount of Paprika
- Cooked Noodles
- In a large pan, saute onions in shortening until soft but not browned.
- Add meat; cover tightly; cook over low heat for 1 hour.
- Add water as needed.
- Add salt, pepper and paprika.
- Cook 1 hour or longer until meat is very tender.
- Serve over Noodles
Serves 4 to 8.
Source: The Complete Everyday Cookbook
- NOT deemed authentic by European members
- NOT supposed to be served on/witih noodles per European members
- Parallel recipe from the Larousse Gastronomique: Peel 250g onions and slice them into rings. Cut 1.5 kg braising steak into 75g pieces. Melt 100g lard in a casserole. When it is hot, put in the meat and onions and brown them. Add 500g tomatoes, peeled, seeded and cut into quarters, then 1 grushed garlic clove, a bouquet garni, salt, pepper and finally, 1 tablespoon mild Hungarian paprika. Add enough stock to cover the meat, bring to the boil, then reduce the heat, cover and cook very gently for two hours. Add 600ml boiling water and 800g potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters. Again, bring to the boil and continue boiling until the potatoes are cooked. Adjust the seasoning. Serve very hot.