Yield: 8 kebabs
- To be pulsed
- 1.5 cups Black gram (kala chana), soaked overnight, pressure cooked with 1/2 tsp salt, drained
- 2 large Ridge gourds, washed, peeled and chopped, pressure cooked with 1/4 cup water, 1/2 tsp salt, drained
- 2 Green chilies, finely chopped
- 2 tsp Ginger paste
- 2 tsp Garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp Mint, chopped
- 2 tbsp Coriander, chopped
- 2 tsp Chaat masala
- 1 tsp Garam masala
- 4 Cloves, crushed in mortar and pestle
- 2 tbsp Roasted gram flour
- 1/2 tsp Pepper powder
- Salt to taste
- Oil for basting
- In a food processor pulse all ingredients mentioned under To be pulsed.
- Add to pulsed mixture all ingredients mentioned under Spices. Mix well.
- Adjust seasoning.
- Divide the batter into 8 equal parts. Roll into balls and flatten slightly. Keep covered in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Heat a nonstick girdle, smear some oil and cook the kebabs on both sides till dark golden brushing with more oil if/when required.
Serve immediately with mint chutney and sliced onions. These vegetarian kebabs can also be paired with Preeti’s saffron – cardamom flavoured rotis .
- A little more than half a cup dry bengal gram (chana) would give you 1.5 cups boiled chana.
- Check out Preeti’s original recipe here.