This refreshing flavored drink is perfect when temperatures start soaring.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 ½ liter water
- 1 tbsp almonds
- 1 tbsp watermelon seeds, skinned
- ½ tbsp khuskhus (poppy seeds)
- ½ tbsp saunf (aniseed)
- ½ tsp cardamom powder
- ½ tsp rosewater
- 1 tsp whole peppercorns
- ¼ cup dried or fresh rose petals
- Soak the sugar in ½ liter of the water used. Keep aside.
- Wash and clean all dry ingredients, except cardamom powder. Soak them in 2 cups water. Keep aside.
- Allow all soaked items to stand for at least 2 hours.
- Grind all soaked ingredients to a very fine paste, preferably using a stone grinder.
- When ground to a fine paste, mix the remaining water.
- Place a muslin cloth over the mouth of a large deep vessel to act as a strainer,
- Press the paste through the muslin gently to extract the liquid into vessel.
- Add a little more water over the paste and press again to extract some more liquid.
- Repeat this process till the residue becomes dry and husk like.
- Mix cardamom with the milk. Then add milk, sugar and rosewater to the extracted liquid.
- Mix well.
- Chill for an hour or two before serving.
Recipe courtesy Chef Hayat Singh of Bellagio Restaurants, New Delhi
Image courtesy Hina Gujral