Delicately flavoured rotis. Ideal to be served with kebabs of your choice.
Yield: 8 rotis
- 1.5 cups All purpose flour
- 1/3 cup Warm milk
- a few strands Saffron
- 1 tsp Cardamom powder
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 tbsp Fine semolina
- Water as required.
- Mix saffron, cardamom powder, salt, sugar, semolina and oil in milk. Let it stand for five minutes.
- Take flour in a bowl. Make a hole in the centre and pour in the milk mixture.
- Mix properly. Add water if needed to get a soft dough. (I used 1.5 tbsp water)
- Knead for a couple of minutes to increase its elasticity. Cover and let it rest for an hour.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal parts. Roll between your palms to make smooth balls.
- Heat a nonstick girdle.
- Using very little flour, roll out a dough ball into a disk of 5″ diameter.
- Carefully lift it and place it on the hot girdle. Cook on each side till golden spots appear on the surface.
- Use a wide spatula or a cotton kitchen towel pad to lightly press the roti on both sides. This helps the roti to not only cook well but also puff up.
- Brush butter on one side and Serve immediately with a kebab of your choice, mint chutney and finely sliced onions.
- Repeat the same process with the remaining balls.
- Check out Preeti’s original recipe here.