This glorious yellow saffron cream highlights the Gala apple’s lovely pinkish-red color and flavor, and the wonderful taste of tender, seared scallops. Feel free to substitute bass or another firm white fish for the scallops. The Washington Apple Commission shares this wonderful recipe for you to enjoy with rice or pasta.
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 lb large scallops
- 2 tbsp butter or oil
- 1/4 cup minced shallots
- 1 fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 1 pinch saffron threads
- 3 Washington Gala apples (quartered and sliced)
- 1 cup 35% cream
- 1 tbsp minced fennel fronds
- In resealable bag, combine cornstarch, salt and cayenne. Place scallops in bag and toss to coat evenly.
- In skillet, melt butter over medium high heat. Arrange scallops in single layer and cook about 3 minutes per side or until golden and slightly crisp. Transfer scallops to platter.
- Add shallots, fennel and saffron to skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until softened and fragrant, about 5 minutes. Stir in apples and cream. Bring cream to boil, stirring occasionally, until slightly reduced and pale yellow. Stir in fennel fronds.
- Arrange scallops on warm plates. Spoon apple cream sauce around the scallops and serve with your favorite side dish, such as rice or pasta.