- 250 gm Butter
- 250 gm Sugar (See Note 1)
- Vanilla (Half a bean or 1 tsp essence)
- 5 Eggs
- Pinch of Salt
- 125 ml Milk
- 375 gm Flour (Maida)
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 3 tbsp Cocoa
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- Preheat oven to 190°C
- Grease a 9 inch/23 cm baking tray
- With a hand mixer beat the soft butter with the sugar and vanilla until foamy. Add one egg at a time and keep mixing. Add part of the milk and part of the flour and baking powder, keep mixing until all the ingredients are used up.
- Fill half of the dough in the prepared baking tray, add the cocoa powder and sugar to the other half and mix well.
- Scoop the brown dough on top of the white one and pull your spoon in an up-down motion to mix them slightly and create the marble effect. Smooth out the surface and bake for approximately 30 minutes or until done. (The cake is done when an inserted wooden toothpick comes out clean).
- Remove from the baking tray and let it cool.
- Sprinkle with icing sugar or coat with melted chocolate.
- if the grains are big, put it in the food processor to make it finer
- This cake freezes well.