Aubergine is sometimes lovingly called the king of vegetables, and it is rightly so for the versatility; be it roasted in baba ghanoush, or fried as begun bhaja and even enjoyed steamed in a tajine in Morocco. Still it is often not looked as a gourmet vegetable. Samar Halarnkar contributes his way of enjoying aubergine.
- 400 gm aubergines
- 300 gm yogurt
- ½ tsp honey
- 2 tbsp mint leaves , finely chopped
- 1 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- A pinch of salt
- ¼ tsp cinnamon powder
- ¼ tsp cumin powder (optional)
- 2 tbsp chopped black olives
- Whip the yogurt with a fork until smooth.
- Add all the ingredients, except the eggplant and parsley, to the yoghurt and mix well. Set aside.
- Slice the aubergine into thin strips, almost to papad thickness. Cut in half if it’s too large to handle.
- Place these aubergine strips on absorbent paper and sprinkle salt on them. When the water leaches out, pat dry.
- Grill in an oven on 175°C or on a hot grill pan with a little olive or sesame oil.
- When cooked, arrange the slices on a plate. Pour yogurt sauce over them. Dress with parsley and chopped olives