The word korma is derived from Urdu word which means “to braise”. Gosht korma is a delicious mixture of chunks of mutton simmered in rich gravy made of cream, cashew and spices.
Recipe and image courtesy: Chef Kunal Kapur, Executive Sous Chef of Diya at Hotel Leela Kempinski Gurgaon and judge on MasterChef India and Junior MasterChef India
- 500gm mutton on the bone
- 250g oil
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 black cardamom
- 5 green cardamoms
- 1-inch cinnamon
- 4 cloves
- 5 black pepper corns
- 125g ginger garlic paste
- Salt, to taste
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tbsp red chilly powder (adjust as per taste)
- 4 cups yogurt
- ½ cup cashewnut paste
- ½ cup coriander, chopped
- Heat oil in a thick-bottomed pan. Add all the whole spices and allow them to crackle.
- Now add the mutton and cook it on medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Dissolve ginger garlic paste in 1 cup of water and add to the mutton. Continue cooking for another seven minutes.
- Add salt, turmeric, red chilly powder and coriander powder. Cook on low heat, till the lamb leaves the oil.
- Whisk the yogurt and add to the mutton. Increase the heat and keep stirring, till yogurt comes to a boil.
- Lower the heat and cook the mutton covered on low heat for another 10 minutes.
- Add two cups water and mix in the cashewnut paste. Stir and then cover and cook till the mutton is soft.
- Check for seasoning and garnish with chopped coriander.
- Serve hot with roti, naan or paratha.