by Susan John
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp beaten egg
- 1 ounce semi sweet chocolate, melted and cooled
- ½ tsp instant coffee granules
- ½ tsp hot water
- 1 ¼ cups all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp baking cocoa
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and the melted chocolate. Dissolve the coffee granules in hot water and beat it into the mix.
- Sift flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Gradually add this mix to the wet ingredients. Mix until just moistened.
- Turn Dough onto a floured surface and knead in the slivered almonds.
- On a baking sheet lightly coated with oil, shape the dough into 12 inch by 3 inch rectangle. Bake at 180 degrees Celsius/ 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 28-30 mins until lightly brown. Take it out of the oven and cool for 10 mins.
- Transfer to a cutting board, cut diagonally into slices. Place cut side down on a baking sheet and bake for 20 mins until firm and crisp.
- Remove and cool in a wire rack. You can drizzle melted white chocolate on it if desired.
Note: If you want white biscotti just omit adding the semi sweet chocolate.