by Susan John
- 1 cup Basmati rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp Ghee (optional)
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 medium sized onion, finely sliced
- 2 cinnamon sticks, broken up
- 4 green cardamoms, split open the top of each pod
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 150 gms grated carrot
- 100 gms frozen peas
- ½ tsp salt or to taste
- Wash the rice and soak it in cold water for ½ hour.
- In a saucepan, add water, rice, salt and ghee and bring to a boil, after 1 minute cover with a lid and leave to simmer for 12-15 minutes
- Remove the pan from the stove and leave it undisturbed for a further 15 minutes.
- In another non stick pan, add the ghee over medium heat and fry the cumin seeds until they crackle. To this add the cardamom, cinnamon and onions and lightly fry the onions to a golden brown.
- Add garam masala powder and stir. Then add carrots and peas along with the salt and stir well for another 10 minutes.
- Now add the rice and gently using a fork or a spatula mix all the ingredients.
- You can use leftover plain boiled rice to make this dish, just bring the leftover rice to room temperature.