by Rupashree Bannerjee
- 2 cups of walnuts, pistachios coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon of All spice(Ground Cinnamon,Cloves,Nutmeg)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- I packet phyllo pastry sheets , thawed if frozen
- 1 3/4 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cinnamon sticks?1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4-5 tablespoons honey
Select a large oblong roasting tray, approx 35 x 25 cm.
- Keep the phyllo pastry covered with a dry cloth to avoid it from drying.
- Grease the bottom and sides of baking tray.
- Mix the Walnuts,Pistachios allspice and sugar in a bowl.
- Taking one sheet of Phyllo at a time, brush the melted butter very thinly all over the top of the pastry.
- Lay in the baking tray, if it is too wide or long, hang it over the sides for now.
- Repeat with the Phyllo until there are seven sheets of pastry in the tray. Spread half the walnut filling evenly over the pastry.
- Add Five more sheets of Phyllo pastry, brushing each layer with melted butter before adding to the tray.
- Spread the remainder of the Walnut and Pistachios mixture over the pastry.
- If there is any excess pastry up the sides of the tray or hanging over the tray, fold them in over the walnut filling.
- If the pastry is a lot larger than the tray, cut the sheets of pastry down to just a tiny bit wider and longer than the tray (to allow for shrinkage when cooking).
- Finish by adding about 8 or 10 more sheets of Phyllo on top, buttering each sheet every time.
- With a sharp knife, carefully cut small diamond or square shapes, only cutting through the top few layers. This will make it much easier to slice once cooked.
- Take a cup of cold water and using your fingers, sprinkle a little water over the top of the baklava. This will help prevent the cut pastry from curling up whilst cooking.
- Place the baking tray in a preheated oven, 180 C(350F/gas mark 4 ) for 30 to 45 minutes, until golden.
- Meanwhile, boil all the syrup ingredients except the honey in a saucepan for about 5 minutes.
- Add the honey and simmer for another 5 minutes until thickened slightly.
- Strain the syrup, and keep warm.
When the baklava is ready, remove from the oven and cool a little, pour the syrup over the baklava while still in the baking tray, and cut the slices through to the bottom. Leave to cool completely in the tray, soaking in the aromatic syrup for at least 5 hours.
- Baking times may vary according to oven, please keep a check on the baklava after about 25 minutes.
- Remove the slices one at a time from the tray.