A rich and luxurious late night snack or a decadent finish to an elegant meal, the combination of apples and cream, caramel and spice make this recipe a sure winner. This recipe from the Washington Apple Commission uses the classic sugar and spice combination which easy to make and exquisite.
- 1 cup 35% cream 250 mL
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 pinch cloves
- 2 cups caramel squares
- 1/4 cup Mascarpone cheese
- 6 Washington Pink Lady apples
- In saucepan, combine cream with cardamom, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves. Simmer just until edges start to bubble.
- Remove from heat and let stand 30 minutes. Return to medium low heat and add caramels, stirring frequently until melted, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer caramel to oven-proof serving bowl. Spoon mascarpone in centre.
- Bake in 350 F (180 C) oven until caramel is bubbling and cheese begins to melt. Remove from oven and let sit 5 minutes before serving. Caramel will be very hot.
Quarter, core and cut apples into thick wedges. Serve with skewers and caramel.
PS: Whenever you work with caramel, be very careful and keep a bowl of ice cold water in case of burns.