A colleague rears hens and ducks and is my sole source of organic eggs. Recently, she brought six ducks eggs for me. Taken aback by the green colour of the eggs initially, I was mustering the courage to eat these either blind folded or thought I would have to do so under duress. As luck would have it, on the following Saturday morning I looked into the cupboard and found no bread apart from a long French baguette and no eggs other than those of the infernal duck! It was case of now or never. I decided to make French toast Indian style.
- 2 Duck eggs
- ½ Teaspoon of Turmeric
- ½ Teaspoon of cumin powder
- ½ Teaspoon of coriander powder
- ¼ teaspoon of chilli powder
- ¼ Teaspoon of cayenne powder
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon of grated ginger
- ½ Teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 table spoons Olive oil
- Mix all the ingredients except cumin seeds and whisk well.
- Soak French baguette pieces in the mixture to let the egg permeate the bread.
- Heat two table spoons of olive oil in a pan and add cumin seeds to season the oil.
- Fry the egg soaked pieces of baguette until they are golden brown and crisp.
- Garnish with chilli or tomato sauce. Occasionally, I will have French toast with olives.
Ed: This recipe sounds like the toast will go well with a hari chutney too.