My parents were due to visit a couple of weeks back and I didn’t want to spend all my time in the kitchen. So, decided to make a hearty but small meal for the occasion. Baked a couple of loaves of bread, made some cheesy mashed potatoes and a stew that was simmered for 2 – 3 hours. For the stew, you’ll need:
- Heat the oil. Fry the mutton on high heat for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove mutton and set aside.
- Boil some water. Blanch the chopped (1″) beans for about 3 minutes. Remove beans and set aside.
- Quarter the potatoes.
- Add the butter to the oil still in the pan. Melt.
- Add the finely chopped onions. Saute till transparent
- Add the smashed garlic. Saute for 30 seconds. Add the bay leaves. Saute for 10 seconds.
- Add the mutton and follow with stock.
- Simmer for 2 – 3 hours, or till meat is tender.
- Add beans, pepper – adjust seasoning and stir once before serving.