Just saw Ram Gopal Varma Ki Aag. Amazingly pathetic. Dialogue delivery sucked. Song sequences were too pseudo new age. Sets and ambience were make-believe. Songs themselves, including the mehbooba remix failed to inspire. The only people who *looked* good were Ajay Devgan, Jr Bacchan and Ms. Matondkar.
Big disappointment. Just goes to show, a mega star cast with an incompetent [or over confident] director can still fall flat on its face.
This is a nice dinner party dish, which will do well for a main course. Serve with bread, noodles or a pasta of your choice. If you’re catering to many people, it would do well do cook separate tranches to make for easy serving. You’ll need:
|For the fish:
For the sauce:
Method – The Vegetables
- Trim the spring onions. Cut off any dry or wilted sections. Cut off the stalks about an inch above the bulb. Chop the stalks into 2cm pieces. Split the onions vertically in half.
- Cut the carrots into matchsticks
- Peel the tomatoes: Cut a cross into the tops about a cm deep. Put into boiling water. When the crack in the skin is as wide as it could be [about 3 – 5 minutes], take off the heat, allow to cool enough for handling, peel the skin and chop roughly.
- Soak the mushrooms in water for 15 minutes. Take out. Cut off the stalks, discard. Cut the heads into strips. Squeeze dry. Put into some fresh warm water and leave for 5 minutes. Take out squeeze dry – well.
Method – 1. The Fish
- Clean the fish and pat dry.
- Melt some butter in a pan. On high heat, quickly fry one side, turn, fry the other side.
- Lower the heat
- Add the stock, bay leaf, Tabasco and garlic paste to the pan and carefully mix, taking care not to brush the fish.
- Cover and cook on a very low flame for 20 minutes. Spoon some of the liquid in the pan over the fish every 5 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, pour out all but some of the liquid (reserve the liquid) and put into an oven on high heat, very close to the top burners.
- Grill (broil) for 15 minutes or till the top begins to brown.
Method – 2. The Sauce
- Melt a little butter in a pan.
- Add all the vegetables prepared earlier except the spring onion bulbs. Saute on high heat for 3 minutes.
- Add the liqud from the fish into the pan along with the vinegar and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the spring onion bulbs. Simmer for another 5 minutes. Add some ground black pepper if you wish.
- Thicken with a little flour or cornflour.
Pour some of the sauce liquid on to a plate. Transfer the fish to the plate. Arrange the vegetables around it. Pour some sauce over the fish. Reserve rest for individual servings. Serve.