We had some friends over for the weekend and decided to cook something a little more interesting than the food we had been subjected to over the last couple of days [See reviews on Udupi Cafe and Taste of India].
I didn’t bother taking any pictures of this one, as it didn’t look as if it would photograph well or perhaps I’m not good enough to photograph it – however, I can say quite confidently – it tasted wonderful and is 100% vegetarian. Here’s what you do:
- Take about 250 grams of cashewnuts, boil them and puree them with some water – enough water so it flows ok.
- Puree about 4 medium sized onions with 2 – 3 green de-stalked green chillies.
- Powder 10 black peppercorns, 1 inch of cinnamon, 3 green cardamoms, 1 large cardamom, 4 – 5 cloves and 2 – 3 star anise. Remember to take out any cardamom husks left in the masala.
- Add some ghee/butter in the pan, heat moderately, fry the masalas from step 3 for about 5 seconds. Also add 3 pinches of powdered mace/javathri.
- Add the onions, fry for 30 seconds
- Add 1 tablespoon each of ginger and garlic paste, fry for 30 seconds
- Add 1 teaspooon turmeric powder, mix well
- Add the cashew paste, mix well
- Add some water to make a gravy
- Add 1 – 2 bay leaves
- Add cauliflower florets and chopped carrots.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Adjust seasoning and gravy [add water and bring to boil if required]
Serve with malabar paranthas or just paranthas. Yummy!