I try to get away from normal food combinations, sometimes for variety, but mostly to break my personal food patterns, which in the case of traditional combinations, usually cause overeating, especially of the carb component.
The individual components were prepared as follows:
- Baingan / Aubergine: 1.5 cm thick slices of baingan are smeared with a paste/solution of haldi (turmeric), namak (salt) / mirch (chili powder) and left aside for a few minutes. Make the paste/solution as strong or diluted as you wish, favouring whichever flavours you like. Heat oil in a pan and slowly cook the baingan, covered for about 5 minutes each, flipping once in between.
- Urad Dal: Boiled in salted water, sprinkled with sesame oil later.
- Bajra: Pressure cooked in salted water.
- Red Blob: A delicious, baby mango pickle Jayanthi Narayan was kind enough to share when she passed through Delhi. My first time with this kind of pickle. Goes great with curd rice.
- Topping: Onions, curry leaves / kadi patta, garlic, mustard seeds (these go first) and pumpkin seeds fried in desi ghee.