I craved this flavour as a fast breaking meal and ate it with boiled millets and prawn pickle. Here’s what I remember of the recipe. Would have been great with kadi patta, but we didn’t have any.
- Ash Gourd, 700gm, peeled and chopped
- Ginger, 75gm
- Green chillies, 6, ground with the ginger
- Urad dal, 50gm
- Green cardamom, 3 pieces, peeled
- Black pepper, 1 tbsp, grind with cardamom
- Star anise, 3 whole flowers
- Cinnamon, 5gm piece
- Cloves, 6 pieces
- Dried red chilies, 5 pieces
- 1 whole coconut kernel, grated
- Coconut oil
- Salt to taste
- Onions, 3 med-large, sliced
- Heat a generous amount of coconut oil
- Gently brown the urad dal to golden.
- Add all dry spices; fry
- Add ginger-chili mixture; fry
- Add onions; fry
- Add add grated coconut; stir well for a few minutes
- Add chopped gourd and 500ml water. Stir well.
- Pressure cook until done. 10 minutes in a Futura for me.