It takes very little to make a tasty and healthy meal. We only need a few ingredients and a willingness to take a fresh look at the ingredients available and the purpose at hand. Indu wasn’t feeling very well and wanted sometime light for dinner. Now, I love eggs for their versatility and she’s always okay experimenting with my experiments.
The good thing about this meal, is that it has very few carbs and fresh greens for starters. Next, compared to our usual meals, this is quite low calorie. Finally, it uses greens that many of us throw away and rarely use. If you’re looking to introduce healthier meals for your family, you want to take another look at the foods you’re eating, specifically, the ingredients. We mostly tend to rotate the same ingredients cooked in the same way. While this isn’t a bad thing by itself, most of our weight issues are due to our lifestyles and it is quite probable that the ways we’re set in, need changing.
- 1 Egg, beaten
- 3 Beetroot leaves with stalks
- 4 tbsp Onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Potato, finely chopped
- 4 cloves Garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Black peppercorns, whole, freshly coarsely ground
- 1 tsp Balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp Olive oil (extra virgin)
- pinch Oregano
- 1/4 tsp Butter
- In a little oil and a hot pan, cook the half the onions, all the potatoes, half the garlic, using the ground peppercorns and salt as needed. Pour over 1 tsp of the olive oil. Set aside.
- In a bowl, mix the remaining onions, garlic, balsamic vinegar, 1 tsp olive oil, oregano and a little salt. Set aside.
- Separate the beetroot stalks and leaves. Chiffonade the leaves. Chop the stalks. Set aside separately.
- Make a single egg omelette with the beaten egg and butter. Keep warm. Do not overcook.
- Place the onion-potato mixture in the centre.
- Top it with the omelette
- Place the stalks on one side of the omelette and the leaves on the other.
- Top the omelette with the onion-garlic relish
- Sprinkle over a bit of salt and pepper.
- Serve hot, perhaps with triangles of toasted, buttered bread if you like.