Amaranth is a grain I suggest quite frequently in the meal plans for my CW90 wellness program. More frequent is inclusion of spinach and then there’s paneer every once in a while. Here’s a quick recipe for upma, that uses all three – amaranth grain, spinach and paneer.
- Amaranth grain, 250 gm, soaked 15 minutes, boiled until tender
- Spinach, 250gm, washed, blanched and chopped
- Paneer, 200 gm diced
- Onions, 3 medium, chopped
- Ginger, 1 inch, finely chopped or grated
- Green and red chili, 1, finely chopped (or more)
- Mustard seeds, 1 tsp
- Arhar dal, 2 tbsp
- Kadi patta, a whole sprig
- Hing powder, 1/2 tsp
- Oil/ghee, 3 tbsp
- Coriander leaves, handful, chopped
- Heat oil, splutter mustard seeds, saute dal till light brown, add ginger, onions, chilies and hing. Saute some more until the onions are transparent/pinkish.
- Add paneer. Saute a little more.
- Add boiled amaranth grain. Mix well.
- Add spinach. Mix well.
- Season and serve hot, garnished with coriander leaves.
- A tsp of ghee tastes good.
- This amount is good for a snack for three. For breakfast or a meal, double the quantities.
- Good substitute for wheat semolina / suji based upma.