This curry has a spicy, piquant taste and is flavored with mustard and curry leaves. I made this with very fresh fish and curry leaves picked off the tree.
For the Marinade
- Smear the fish with the ingredients in the ‘Marinade’ and let lie for 1 hour.Lightly fry and keep aside.
- Heat some more oil in a pan
- When hot (a wooden implement dipped in the oil should bubble heavily, readily) add the mustard seeds
- When they’re done crackling, add the onions, stir, follow with the chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt.
- Stir. Add the ginger paste. Stir fry for 1 minute. Add the tomato puree and stir fry for 30 seconds.
- Add about a litre of water. Better still if you have fish stock.
- Bring to the boil. Add the curry leaves and the fish.
- Cover cooked for 20 minutes.
- Take off the heat and squeeze half a lemon over it and stir. Garnish with chopped coriander
Note: If you like, thicken by sprinkling some whole wheat flour and stirring.
Serve with hot, steamed white rice.