|Fact Sheet for||Vitamin A / Retinol|
|Also known as / related terms||Retinol, Alpha Carotene, Beta Carotene|
|What does it help?||- Eyes, eyesight
- Healthy skin
- Ability to fight infections.
|Where is it found?||- Liver (animal and fish)
- Green leafy vegetables
- Orange-yellow vegetables
- Sweet potatoes
|Who is at risk of deficiency?||- People with diseases such Coeliac disease, Crohn's disease and Cystic fibrosis.
- Those with diseases that affect the liver or the pancreas.
- People following a strict vegan diet.
- Those without sufficient means to purchase a nutritive diet
|Symptoms of deficiency||- Increased chances of Infections, including those of the throat, chest infections, in addition to gastroenteritis.
- Delayed growth and bone development in children and teenagers.
- Poor vision and eye damage
- Dry skin
- Dry hair
|Treatment||Eating foods rich in Vitamin A|
|Is an overdose / hypervitaminosis possible?||Yes, both as acute and chronic conditions|
- North Eastern and Uttarakhand Food: Explained!
- Fact Sheet: Vitamin C