Last night we felt like eating something decadent and indulgent and this dish happened. Going by how good it tasted and the few ingredients within, I’m sure it exists already.
- French fries or wedges, 3 frozen handfuls, fried crisp
- Spinach, 3 handfuls, washed, drained and chopped
- Bacon, 10 thin rashers, chopped coarsely
- Carrots, 2 medium, sliced thin
- Onions, 6 small, 3 sliced fine and 3 chopped coarsely
- Garlic, 20 medium cloves, chopped fine
- Salt, pepper and chili of choice to taste
- Water, 1 cup
- Oil for the sauce and deep frying
- Cheese of your choice for topping
- Heat oil, fry the sliced onions with a pinch of salt on medium heat until golden brown and caramelised, perhaps crisp, but definitely not dark brown or burnt.
- Add garlic, remaining onions and carrots. Saute for a bit.
- Add bacon, saute until cooked.
- Add water, bring to boil
- Add spinach, stir for a bit
- Ladle on top of fries, add some cheese, serve.
- If you time it right, the fries and the sauce can be finished together, ensuring you serve hot and crisp fries with a hot and steaming sauce.
- Thicken the sauce a bit if you wish, right after step 5.
- If your chopped bacon is clumped together, mix well when cooking so they separate, or they’ll remain clumped together.
- I used Tibetan chili paste as well as freshly cracked black pepper. You can use green chilies, red chilies or any other chili hit you feel like.