This page lists the rules applicable to discussions on our Facebook Group, Page, On-Site forum and all areas where Chef at Large members, readers, contributors, authors and moderators among others gather for the purpose of discussions and conversation. This includes off-line meet-ups too. Please mail CaL Support to inform us of rule violations, IPR issues or anything related to the group you think we should know.
- The Chef at Large (CaL) Group
- Is a part of the Chef at Large network, India’s #1 and most active food community.
- Is an open group on Facebook. All your friends on Facebook can see what and when you post.
- Is a group of foodies, not about food. There is nothing off-topic, though there are restrictions.
- Does not insist on recipe sharing. Members do not have to share recipes if they do not wish to.
- Is very strictly moderated. Please read the rest of the rules.
- Moderation happens 24×7, and is always per these rules.
- Always contact CaL Support, and please do not message moderators on FB as far as possible.
- Please do not block moderators on FB. It impedes their function.
- Please feel free to tag a moderator if you need help on the forum or think someone else does.
- Posting Links to the Group
- Facebook links must not be shared under any circumstances in posts, with or without shortening, except in comments and then only in response to a request.
- Chef at Large assets, such as our website, internal group links etc. may be shared without shortening.
- If you’re sharing a link to your own blog, please ensure it is in the whitelist, and displays the CaL Badge. Please note that YouTube channels/videos may not be shared by the owners at this point.
- Links no longer need to be shortened prior to being shared on the group. [update: 16 Oct 2017]
- This section does not apply to Chef at Large and it’s designates.
- Members may not explicitly promote anything on the group, including themselves, their children, asking for visits, likes, votes etc.
- If a member would like to use the Chef at Large network to promote a social or environmental objective, they must obtain clearance by first writing to CaL Support.
- If a member would like to use the Chef at Large network to promote a commercial objective, they must initiate a contract by first writing to CaL Support.
- Commercial brands/entities may not be used as image watermarks.
- Sharing Content on the Group
- Give due credit, wherever due, in whatever amount applicable, including precise sources for recipes and images among other forms of intellectual property, unless the shared object already has a copyright notice or similar.
- Health related queries with potentially dangerous implications for the recipients health are not allowed.
- Always post dish names and other searchable content such as recipe ingredients and method in full, clear English or other language, not using SMS-style communication, all-uppercase, random short forms, irregular abbreviations etc.
- By sharing your content, including but not limited to photos and recipes among others, to the Chef at Large group on FB, you consent to allowing the republishing of all shared material to other Chef at Large platforms, including our website, social media handles and badge network among others. If you do not wish this, please write to the moderators, citing specific published content, requesting its removal, which we are happy to do.
- Members must not post any medical or health related opinion/advice without accompanying it with a link from one of the following websites to corroborate their statements. This is due to the large quantities of fake/incorrect/sensational information being propagated. This list will be updated periodically – please check back from time to time.
[added 26 December 2017][modified 19 January 2018 – website list added]
- Interaction on the Group
- Behave exactly as you would be expected to in real life; taking the time to know people, thanking them for their help, appreciating their work and so on.
- Socially unacceptable behaviour, including being rude, racist and vulgar among others, is actively penalised, including the removal of groups and individuals seen to be obstructing goals, activities or events on our platforms.
- Contacting members after being asked by them not to is actively discouraged.
- Religion, politics and sexually explicit topics among others are not allowed for public discussion.
- No public discussion of the rules, the group’s core values, moderation or the moderators, by members; they will additionally not be the subject of ridicule, argument or criticism.
- Please do not support rule violations through likes and/or comments.
- Members may post in any language, Indian or otherwise. Given the group largely comprises Indians, most posts are usually in English and Hindi. If you are asked to provide a translation by members who are unable to understand the language of your post, please assist if you are able to.
- Penalties for Rule Violations
- You may be removed. If you’re removed, you will find yourself unable to reply, but able to view and like posts. This indicates you broke a minor rule and are welcome to return.
- You may be banned. If you’re banned, you will be unable to view the group entirely. This indicates you broke a significant rule.
- You may be asked not to post any more links and/or interact (like, comment etc.) on any more posts for a certain or indefinite period of time.
- Sometimes, you may find yourself a member of the this group, but yet unable to like, post or comment. If this happens to you, it is likely because you broke a minor rule here and a Moderator has ‘muted’ you.
This is applicable for a maximum of 24 hours at a time and is automatically lifted. You do not have to mail, message or speak to anyone about it. You must however go read the rules so you know why it happened and how to avoid it going forward. [added, 5 Dec 2017]
- If you have been banned, please write to CaL Support, either mentioning why you were banned or acknowledging that a rule was broken which you may not be aware of. The former will result in nearly immediate reinstatement. The latter will result in your being asked to attempt the rules quiz, in which you must score 20 or more points (out of 23) after which you will be immediately reinstated. Please note, no apologies, regrets etc are required – just acknowledgement and acceptance of the rules.
- Joining the Group
- To fight spam, the group turns referral-only every so often. The group is now in NORMAL mode.
- If the group is in referral mode, please ask an existing member to add you. If you do not know anyone in the group, then you cannot join the group.
- If the group is in regular mode, your profile is checked for various attributes and then added, if it passes our checks. We cannot reveal details due to spam.
- How to Contact CaL Support